Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Case Studies

This week on Monday, we had the opportunity to look at five case studies related to the areas of equality issues within the schools. As a future educator, I found it very beneficial to be able to put myself into each one of these unique situations. What I find most interesting about these case studies is that I can actually see these situations happening out in the real world. By being able to work through them in class, we have the opportunity to think about what we would do if we are ever in that situation. I had never thought about how such issues of inequality would present in the elementary classroom so I found it refreshing that a elementary case study was included. I also found it interesting how real some of the situations are because they have actually happened in my school. For example, our group picked number five because each of us could relate to a similar situation from our high school days. In making our decision, we talked a lot about the importance of understanding the rules of a system/school before confronting them. In this case, if the policy exists in a code of conduct, then the student knew about the rules and should have no problem conforming with the coach's request. We also discussed that the coach should give the student a more concrete reason for his decision.

1 comment:

  1. I also found it interesting that we had each experienced at least one of the case studies in our previous schooling. I had never thought of those situations from a "teacher's" standpoint before, so I thought it was very helpful to think of it from the other side of things.

    ReplyDelete