Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The importance of music education

From looking at the title of this post, one would be quick to assume that I am a music education major, but I can assure you that I am not. I am merely an elementary education major who has been fortunate enough to be a part of an experience with music that changed my life. Starting at a young age, I was surrounded by music. My dad is an avid rock and roll fan and I can pretty much sing any tune that comes on the radio if it was released between the years of 1950-1980. Then, in elementary school, I got introduced to the clarinet and I fell in love. Finally, something that I really excelled. I played sports and enjoyed them, but always felt like I was never that "good" at them. The clarinet allowed me to gain a sense of independence that I would have never developed in another setting. The responsibility of individual practice time and private lessons created a sense of drive in me that is still present. Thanks to the clarinet, I was able to go to private music camps on scholarship as well as travel to special honor bands. In high school, I had the opportunity to attend a clarinet seminar where I played with college level musicians in a setting totally devoted to the clarinet.
You may wonder what the point of this is so I will finally come to it. Without the clarinet, I would not be able to attend Luther College. I am here on a music scholarship and it is the only way my parents and I could afford this school. Music education is important in our schools because it could be the one thing that allows a certain student to attend college. It taught me social skills that I wouldn't have learned in another setting as well personal responsibility as I became responsible for practicing. Research supports the importance of music education in schools as it is shown that music improves test scores, concentration, and overall IQ. It gives students the opportunity to excel in an area that develops such creative aspects. When I hear people especially educators talk about cutting music education, I feel the need to be a voice for the many others like me. The ones who would not have the opportunities that they have without music education.

No comments:

Post a Comment